Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

REVIEW: eBay Synthetic Face Brushes

This is a little haul and first impression on a set of eBay brushes that are actually trying to be dupes for the Sigma Face brushes! I bought a 4-piece set made from synthetic fibers for around $19 which I thought was pretty cheap.




It came with individual plastic wrappers which I think was pretty nifty!

However, I wish they sealed it because then it defeats the purpose of wrapping it if the dusts can still come in contact with the fibers, right?

These are the brushes all the way out.

When I first brought them out of the plastic wrappings, I immediately smelled like a rubber-y, chemical, and bothersome smell! As expected, there were also tiny particles that seemed like dusts the moment I tried to brush through the fibers to feel them.

The first brush that I am going to review is the flat top one

Closer look

For a flat top brush that is supposedly for buffing out foundation, I think this is not the best one to use. Just because the density of this is nowhere near the Sigma F80 which is supposedly its counterpart or the e.l.f. Powder Brush which is extremely dense and very effective for that purpose.

This brush is too flimsy to be used for foundations.

An alternative purpose for this brush though is for packing on powder on the face and for applying blush. This is very smooth and very good for both cream and powder.

Next, is this angle brushed

Closer look

I think it’s rather weird that the one that doesn’t have to be too dense is the one that IS dense. This brush is possibly the densest most packed angled brush I have ever tried! Almost perfect for applying cream foundation. I used this for applying bronzer and contour powder though and it does get the job done rather decently but I normally go for a fluffier and softer brush just because I like being able to blend out the contour completely for a natural ‘hallowed’ effect.

Again, the fibers are super soft and smooth.

Pointed tip kabuki brush 

Closer look

I think out of all the brushes of the set, this has got to be my most favorite. I used this for applying foundation on the corners of my face like the inner eye corner, around the nose and the sides of the mouth - with ease. This is again, really soft, and does the job very well. The density of this is over the top and it’s just really the greatest brush of the bunch.

And last but not the least...

Fluffy powder brush

Closer look

This was one of the most versatile brushes of the bunch, I must say. Applying powder and blush are the best ways to use this brush. I think the density of this is right in the middle. Not too packed and not too loose either.

Overall opinion about these brushes are 2/5. Mainly because despite the smoothness and softness, look (professional looking with the matte black handle and the stainless ferules), and the price - I think it’s an ok brush set for beginners. But if you’re like me that’s experimenting a lot and enjoys deep cleaning your brushes, I suggest you avoid these because after maybe 5 to 7 washes, the fibers will start shedding until you have nothing left.

Also, the day that these brushes came in the mail, two of the handles are kind of detaching because of the low quality glue used to bind the parts together.

After almost a year of using these, I ended up throwing all of them away because I just cannot stand the fibers falling off.

P.S.
These were old photos (back when I first got them sometime around August of last year)

xo,
Cams

No comments:

Post a Comment